- Tank size: 5–10 gallons ( about 40 liters)
- Temperature: 72° to 82° F (22 – 28°C)
- pH: 6.4 to 8.0 (ideally from 6.8 to 7.5)
- KH: 0-8 (ideally from 2 to 4)
- GH: 4-14 (ideally from 6 to 8)
- TDS: 100-400 (ideally from 150 to 200)
- Nitrate: less than 20 ppm
- Living zone: Bottom-dwellers
- Temperament: Peaceful
- Diet: Algae eater/omnivore
The Bloody Mary Shrimp (Neocaridina davidi) boasts the deepest red coloration of all dwarf shrimp, even more so than the Painted Fire Red Shrimp. It appears to have a clear exoskeleton with blood red tissue underneath in both males and females. We have yet to see one that is not 100% blood red!
Care for this shrimp is identical to all varieties of Cherry, Neon Yellow, Blue Velvet, Sapphire, Blue/Black Diamond, Chocolate, Snowball, and Rili shrimp. It is comparably durable as well.
This shrimp is a scavenger and is very useful in planted and nano aquariums. The bulk of its diet is biofilm, algae, and decaying plant matter so it will work diligently to clean up the waste in any aquarium. It feeds constantly, so it displays constant activity. In a less mature aquarium, it should be fed high quality flake and mini pellet dry foods with high algae/spirulina/plant content.